April 05, 2005

Mari gets a p.d. job, then gets to tell her dad...

Oof, I could use some upbeat news! Gracias a Dios y a la Internet, the blogs didn't let me down:

On Explaining My New Job To My Dad...

Me: I'm so excited, Papi ~ you know, era muy dificile to get into this agency ~ voy a trabajar por el State y tuve three interviews y I had to meet with seven people and take an oral exam y hacer un "role play" and three written exercises and you should be very proud porque it's very hard to get into this kind of job......
Papi: Sí, pero what is it?
Me: Well, voy a ser un Legal Analyst por la Oficina del State Public Defender... [pause, deep breath] on death penalty appeals.....
Papi (voice rising): Ai Mari, pero if someone killed one of my kids I would want them to die!
Me (I will see your stern voice and raise you a spot of indignation): Pero Papi, vengeance no es justice!


It's pointed, yet fun to read, and makes me wish there were more native speakers of Spanish in my new town, as in Yakima and the Magic Valley. Maybe it'd help to stop off at that taco wagon on Sleater-Kinney on my way home.

0 Comments: