November 28, 2005

Professional consultations

Lately I've had appointments with two contrasting styles of client, both enjoyable in their own way, each coming at the problem of being charged with a felony from a different direction.

One client might give me a factual background leading up to "the incident," answer my rambling "then what happened" questions, and help me keep the chronology of events and the names of witnesses straight, as a clearer understanding of the case and some initial themes of the defense begin to emerge. We go over discovery, talk about what trial could be like, and discuss a few options short of trial.

Another client might bring a prepared written statement emphasizing the factual areas which will be most important, a helpful list of cites from the RCW's, and perhaps some pre-prepared motions that I might want to file. We go over discovery, talk about what trial could be like, and I am instructed as to which pre-trial issues and tactics I should pursue.

I've come to be okay with either type of client, only one puts me in mind of the advice Doc Cochran gave his patient on "Deadwood":

"You don't be the doctor! You will describe the symptoms, and I will determine their significance!"

0 Comments: