April 23, 2006

For want of a defibrilator

A few blogs have mentioned the lonesome death of criminal defense lawyer Tom Farris:

Lawyer dies while arguing case in N.C. courtroom

A defense lawyer died of an apparent heart attack Thursday while arguing a drunken driving case in a Wake County courtroom.

Tom Farris, 57, of Wilson, collapsed about 11:30 a.m. and died despite efforts to resuscitate him in the courtroom...


TalkLeft suggests, "This isn't the way most of us want to die."

There are worse ways, certainly, and some days I think there'd be nothing like going out in harness, like my father-in-law, rest him, who was arguing with opposing counsel in chambers that morning, and was gone by that afternoon. Honorable. But then my wife cuts through the legal warrior b.s. and reminds me how it was to watch the paramedics work over him on the floor of his office, and I'm anchored again to the hope for a full life and a happy death.

This commenter on TalkLeft could be describing my father-in-law and the legions of other solos and small business toilers like him:

...Most lawyers don't make enough to pay for health insurance or to restrict their business when they aren't feeling well.

I know of 4 lawyers who have died in court- either in trial or during a motion hearing. Since I have never seen a criminal defense lawyer retire, I am shocked the numbers are so low.


Peace, peace, you lions: Tom Farris, Lloyd Walker, and all the colleagues who've died too soon.

0 Comments: