March 14, 2005

"Jury gets more wiggle room to convict Johnson of murder"

Here.

Because in a first-degree murder trial, what you want to do with that beyond - a - reasonable - doubt thing is to give the jury more wiggle room.

Atrocious.

Quotes from the judge (outside the presence of the jury, I damn-well trust):

"The hypotheses 'no blood no guilt' has always been curious to me."

"I'll let you argue to the jury how she was asleep in the room and how someone else came in and planted bullets and got the robe," he said to the defense attorneys.


(By the way, he's also the administrative judge for the whole judicial district back in Idaho that I just fled.)

2 Comments:

WomanoftheLaw said...

Holy moly.

moi said...

Wow. Amazing how they can add a charge right before jury instructions. In fact, it isn't even the prosecutor (who I'd most expect to pull this crap) but the judge himself. Brilliant. It isn't even like aiding and abetting could be a lesser-included of murder.