November 30, 2005

ID: fatal shooting near St. Edward's

Yesterday afternoon, a guy was shot and killed about two blocks from the school where my boy started kindergarten. The principals of the two schools in the neighborhood moved quickly to partially lock down their students, locking the doors, calling the parents and so on.

Of course my wife and I felt a chill. Joe's kindergarten classmates are first graders now, and we know their moms and dads, as well as other families through church and work. I feel for them all. I hope that the kids didn't see anything awful.

Through work I also know the name of the deceased, and the persons of interest sound familiar somehow. I feel for their families. What a world. Poor Twin Falls.

And to think that when I took my family from small-town Idaho to Pugetopolis, we might just have moved to a safer neighborhood... For those of my fellow Idahoans who go on and on about how Idaho is what America was, and how safe and sane rural life is: wake up now, please.

0 Comments: