December 05, 2006

It's hard to be a j.d. these days

This is apparently from some pernicious chain letter going around, via Brian Tannenbaum's Criminal Defense blog:

The Criminalization of Life

Scenario: Jack pulls into school parking lot with rifle in gun rack.

1973.....Vice Principal comes over, takes a look at Jack's rifle, goes to his car and gets his to show Jack.

2006 ......School goes into lockdown, FBI called, Jack hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors called in for traumatized students and teachers...


That first one is very Idaho circa my high school years. I'm ever grateful that I am not coming up these days. I think back, not so fondly, to the dumb things I did back then, only to get off with a warning or a driver safety class. My poor parents then, my poor kid clients now...

1 Comment:

123txpublicdefender123 said...

Aint that the truth! Before working in juvie, I had no idea the types of things kids are hauled into court for. I can't tell you how many times I read police reports and thought, "What happened to a stern talking to?" I've had one kid prosecuted for shoplifting one donut! I've had a ton of kids prosecuted for pushing mom, dad, or a sibling. Pushing! It's nuts.