April 18, 2007

A very special potential colleague

Let me be the first to embrace Jadesr 's most superior classmate:

There is a guy in my class that I have mad respect for... Anyhow, this guy has an awesome GPA and resume. He has offers from an assload of big firms for money I could only dream of making. BUT he has decided to be a public defender because he is troubled that PDs offices are populated with losers and rejects, such that poor people who have to rely on public defenders never really have a chance in criminal trials... that they would... if all defendants actually got access to good legal council...

Wait, it gets better.

So, he gets this job with the PD in a nearby county BUT, they want him to take a drug test... I would bitch a lot, and then go pee in the damn cup. But, not him, he QUITS. Now, they know that he has mad offers for like, 4 times as much $ as they are paying him, so they were all stoked to get him since he is a rock star so they freak out, and are actually considering asking the county to change the policy. I have such respect for him for taking a stand like that!


Well, I'd change a county-wide policy to get this catch, wouldn't you? Yes, we're slobbering all over ourselves in anticipation of how such a great co-worker will uplift our loser and reject selves. Just imagine how he went over in his job interview! Now, which one of us will get to share a cubicle with P.D. McDreamy?

7 Comments:

Anonymous said...

Shotgun!


... What HTML code do I use to reflect rolling of the eyes?

Anonymous said...

So large private law firms don't do any drug screening?

Anonymous said...

Um, yeah. Stick your hand in a bucket of water. Pull it out. There is rock star's impact. The justice system goes on. And once in a while one of the reject PDs pulls something out, eh?

Anonymous said...

Top 5% of my law school class, magalaw firms offers galore, and became a PD.

At the risk of sounding like a toady, in NJ (and from what friends tell me NYC,Philly & DC) right now that is not only common, it is increasingly the rule as the resume quality of the "new recruit" PD has dramatically increased under the current NJ Public Defender. Again, at the risk of sounding like a toady, when it comes to recruiting, she rocks. Indeed, I know guys & gals who did clerkships, are politically connected and finished near the top of their class and being told, ummm, we'll get back to you.

123txpublicdefender123 said...

Oh, no! Whatever shall we do, we "losers and rejects" who don't give our poor clients a chance in their trials, without this "rock star" joining our ranks? I wish I had more time to comment, but I must get back to selling all my clients down the river via my incompetence, apathy, and general loserhood.

Anonymous said...

During the Reagan years, the White House suggested that cabinet secretaries take drug tests. Secretary of State George Schultz pronounced, "when someone orders me to piss in a jar is when I tell him to go shit in his hat."

Anonymous said...

Is drug testing for white collar jobs common in USA? If so, what is the reasoning behind it? I'd resign too...

Nice to know that PDs (and their equivalents elsewhere) continue to receive good raps from those leaving the ivy league.

I'd publish my blogger name, but it goes with a picture and the first paragraph of answer would get me sacked.