November 12, 2004

P.D. freed in Florida, plus a quote about Alabama

I.
The Orlando public defender who was jailed for contempt of court has been released after an appellate judge's order.

Thomas Mote said he was simply representing his clients vigorously in several cases. "I stand by my conduct. I feel that my actions were in advocacy of my clients," Mote said. "At no time did I ever intend to be disrespectful." Mote said he was "relieved and extremely thankful" to be free.

To Brother Mote goes the Public Defender Red Badge of Courage, with cluster. Salute!

II.
"And so long as our essential protections are safe, it doesn't bother me if courts in Alabama have the Ten Commandments hanging in the lobby. If I ever find myself in an Alabama courthouse, I suspect the decor will be the least of my problems."

1 Comment:

St Yves said...

I love that quote. : )