January 21, 2005

Alma mater murder

A student at my old school, The College of Idaho, aka Albertson College, was killed off-campus this week in what law enforcement says looks like drug dealing gone bad. Shot four times, meth, marijuana, and $3000 cash found in his house; the alleged shooter is being arraigned today.

I nostalgize quite a bit about college life, probably a bit more than is supported by the record. We took a fairly libertarian or libertine view of controlled substances back then, pre-Nancy Reagan and pre-crank, before the advent of the cold cook method. All-organic, nothing but benign yerba buena, shrooms for the hippies, and cocaine for the rich kids. It was a simpler time, eh? Now that meth is big man on campus, the thought of going to school with agitated tweakers and violence-prone dealers scares me. Now that I'm a dad, the thought of my kid going to such a school scares me utterly.

Poor bastard. Poor C of I. Poor Caldwell.

Update: Dying declaration - law enforcement says that the victim identified his killer to 911 and first responder

0 Comments: