August 27, 2007

The lives of others, American edition

Resigning today, Alberto Gonzales said,

"I entered public service to make a positive difference in the lives of others..."

Meanwhile, in Idaho news:

Senator Pleads Guilty After Arrest at Airport

Senator Larry E. Craig, Republican of Idaho, pleaded guilty to a disorderly conduct charge earlier this month after his arrest in June by an undercover police officer in a men’s bathroom at the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport...

If only he'd had a lawyer:

“At the time of this incident, I complained to the police that they were misconstruing my actions. I was not involved in any inappropriate conduct.

“I should have had the advice of counsel in resolving this matter. In hindsight, I should not have pled guilty. I was trying to handle this matter myself quickly and expeditiously.”


It's the "wide stance" in the bathroom excuse for lewd conduct. I had a client back in Idaho who got into a similar spot of bother once: he wanted to run a "towelling off briskly" defense, which was just about as credible.

0 Comments: