February 02, 2005

A day to be proud to be an Idahoan

My contrary, beguiling home state: I was drafting a post earlier cursing the Idaho legislature for voting yesterday essentially to tear down a nifty WPA-constructed part of downtown Boise and of my personal history, the Ada County courthouse.

Then the Ledge redeems itself today: A proposal to ban same-sex marriages has failed to pass the Idaho Senate for the second consecutive year. "The measure was defeated 21 to 14 after conservative supporters could not muster the two-thirds majority needed to send the measure to residents, who would have voted whether to write the ban into the state constitution."

What do you know - "the Senate of the most Republican Legislature in the nation rejected it." Old-style Idaho live-and-let-live conservatism trumps the newer crusading variety.

I may have moved away, but I'm still stuck in a love-hate relationship. The minute I think I've gotten over it, it pulls me back in. Doggone you, Idaho.

0 Comments: