September 29, 2006

Free Pozner and Dodd!

Breaks my NCDC - educated heart. From CrimProf Blog:

The Neon Sign Reads: REVERSIBLE ERROR

A Michigan lawyer was held in contempt and fined for phrasing his cross examination questions as declarative statements, a perfectly legitimate technique. (See Pozner & Dodd...). Now he's being forced to appeal...


Read on for transcribed judicial gems such as:

THE COURT: It's not acceptable in my courtroom. If you don't like it you can appeal me after I'm done fining you. Is that clear?

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

This sort of situation is what makes people really not like judges so much. It's a blatant abuse of his power as a judge to make a legitimate legal method not acceptable in his court room. Some judges really have serious quirks that amount to bias.
The thing I really hate is that as a common citizen, it's really hard to find this stuff out before the judge is elected if it's an elected judge and then you are screwed for a long time to come.

Anonymous said...

P.S. I can't get past granica policija over at Idajevo, um the potatoes probably came from Moses Lake!