March 05, 2007

International afternoon at juvy

* It was good to get a deferred disposition for a client who's just turned 18. It's been supremely important to him to keep a felony off his record, as he explained to the court commissioner, so he can travel and do military service. Until today, I always assumed whose military he meant: today he came into court wearing this:My client's a mensch.

* I set a trial for another client accused of being a minor in possession or consumption of "intoxicating liquor." This is what he's said to have possessed:Rakija! Balkan firewater! What on earth is slivovitz doing in a suburban South Sound high school? I've tried the stuff a few times, and when my client tells his principal he had to take the bottle away from a drunken kid to protect the kid, I'm giving my client the benefit of the doubt.

2 Comments:

Katja R. said...

Find out that kid's ethnicity, he was drinking my usual brand available at the Yakima Gulag State Liquor Store. They keep a stock of it because not only do Balkans folks drink it, look at the label, it's kosher for Passover so the local Jews lay in a stock at that time.
I smuggled some maraskino from the same company to a speech tournament, in a cherry Nyquil bottle because I was ill and Nyquil deranges me far more than rakija EVER did!
Proud Rakija drinker since age 16!

Skelly said...

Živeli, moja ZeKa! The young man didn't have a bosanski / hrvati / srpski name, but he must have ex-YU in him, nego šta.