April 19, 2007

"He said he got the freakin' message"

A thoughtful post from a good-hearted p. d. colleague, Juval:

Well, as much as I try to resist the temptation to internalize the actions of some of the many idiotic clients that I represent, I find that the human part of me always comes out. Some would say that I believe that I am a superhero in some respects, when it comes to work anyway. So, I've learned my kryptonite, at work, is the young, misguided, but potentially rehabilitated, black male...

When they get released because I've won or gotten their case dismissed, I am very careful to explain the consequences of future crime and generally try to be a good resource for them as they make their way back into society. After all, everyone needs to know someone cares. My imagination is quite vivid. Thus, I actually believe that these young brothas are actually listening to me (please stop laughing). So, you can only empathize with me when I get "the call"...

0 Comments: