August 02, 2006

Loss

Chris Stamos was in juvy court the Friday before I left for vacation. It was 100 degrees outside, yet he was beaming as always, reassuring his kid clients and bestowing a big old smile on me. He always made people feel good: when I first arrived in a foreign and potentially hostile courthouse last year, Chris made me feel welcome. When I got sideways with a particular client, Chris bailed me out and kept me updated. When I shared counsel table with him, he'd always say something to make me grin. He always treated me as a person he valued, as he treated everyone it seems.

That's what the obituary and the tributes say:

Christopher Lee Stamos, 58, Olympia, WA, died suddenly of a heart attack at home on Friday evening, July 21, 2006...

When Chris was not at home he was doing what he enjoyed most as an attorney…helping people of the community. His skills and compassion put others at ease. Everyone was drawn to Chris' charismatic personality and eternal optimism. He had a knack for breaking the tension in difficult courtroom situations. Chris touched many lives...

"I worked with Chris in the Family and Juvenile Court numerous times, and always apreciated his kindness and compassion. It was a relief to see Chris' name listed as the attorney, because I knew I could trust him to do excellent work without hurting someone else in the process..."

"Chris never judged the youth he served, he approached them with love and respect and always encouraged them to take the high road..."


I only found out today. You would've liked to know him. It is a damned shame that he isn't here.

0 Comments: