February 05, 2007

ID: voices of drug court

As the Twin Falls Times-News reports,

Some say Drug Court helps; others say it doesn't

Here's a woman who flunked and was sentenced to two years in prison:

"I thought I could get away with it. I tried cheating the system. Yeah, I got away with it at that time but I'm paying for all that now. I got sentenced today for all those screw-ups."

And another woman who's taking care of the kids left behind:

"It's my job to fix what she messed up with those babies. And she gets two to three for ruining the life of those babies?"


Back to the first woman:

"Now there is a glimmer of light. I will make it out. I will be OK. I've come to the realization that if I hadn't done what I did, I wouldn't be where I am today. And every day I'm getting closer to getting out and being with my kids."

Finally, a third woman who's made it and is graduating:

"It gave me a new chance at life. And I'm a mom."


Two years gone from the Magic Valley, and I can still hear clearly each of those voices.

The same paper carries sad news of my judicial tormentor back there. I hope he finds rest.

0 Comments: