February 27, 2007

A public defender's prayer

Sent to me from a peachy p.d colleague down in Macon, GA:

Now I lay me down to sleep, I pray dear God, just give me some peace. If I die before I wake, who'll handle my bond calendar in the morning? What will happen if I can't find my 15 missing clients before their trials Monday morning? How will I ever get that motion for new trial finished before next week? What about all those people sitting in jail counting on me? Oh wait, right, sorry God, I got distracted....now I lay me down to sleep, I pray the Lord for just one night's rest and the peace of mind to know I've done my best. If I die before I wake, I just pray some other public defender can read my notes. Amen.

(Good old Macon! Home of the National Criminal Defense College - best CLE ever - and the Allman Brothers Band too.)

1 Comment:

WomanoftheLaw said...

I love it.