August 09, 2006

The return of ImaPD

This is perceptive and penetrating, and you really should read it. After nearly a year away from the blog, and after leaving indigent defense, I'm a PD has resurfaced, to find that in her heart, she never really left:

Public Defender Recidivism

I did end up getting a job as a commercial litigation associate... I hated every second of it.... I have to stop doing "work" that has no significance outside a few privileged people's bank accounts (including my own)... I am now... feeling that I should return to being a PD.

...(O)ne of the core sources of my anxiety about being a PD is that there's no objective way of measuring whether you are 'good' at doing your work. You expect to lose cases... What you don't expect is the sinking and persistent feeling that you are actually bad at what you do...


The question is, knowing what I know about the inevitable heartbreak, the unavoidable anger, and the ephemeral rewards, should I try?

Short answer: yes! We accept you, (still) one of us!

Update: comments from Woman of the Law

0 Comments: