November 30, 2006

Heightened awareness

Yes, I was aware that today was National Meth Day. I celebrated by giving thanks that so few of my young clients have gotten caught up in the stuff.

This morning in court I had a rude reminder of the importance of client communication. It seems that, after discussing all the facts of the case, including the video-taped admission that's definitely coming in, the statement "I guess I'm totally screwed" does not always mean "I'm guess I'm going to plead guilty." Majorly disgruntled client, even after getting four days to serve instead of the state's offer of ten.

2 Comments:

Ruth said...

I'm glad meth hasn't made it big in WA yet. Down here, probably 90% of my clients, have meth addictions.

Nick said...

Greetings and many thanks for the link to my post on National Meth Day- I look forward to perusing your blog!