November 15, 2006

WA: parents just don't understand

From OlyBlog, this interesting video made by teens, some of whom are involved in the local juvenile justice system:

Youth of Olympia: Accused Innocence

It's 15 minutes long, and provides a good sounding board for some local teenage angst. It was produced in collaboration with Thurston County Media's Yaya Media ("Taking media production to the streets to help young people share their voices") and Community Youth Services, an organization that does an admirable job helping out my under-18 clients.

As fits a piece of advocacy, the subtitle "Accused Innocence" begs a question or two. Those of us who represent juveniles, or who once were juveniles, will recognize some of the dialogue, and some of the rationalizations, or as noted by one of the less supportive Olyblog commenters:

To myself, and evidently others, I saw the statements in the video as a giant I didn't do it, I'm never guilty, people pick on me for no reason...

No matter. I like my kids, innocent or not, and was interested to see some of their cohorts in a nicely-produced show of their own.

0 Comments: