January 28, 2005

Never again


I'm veering far away here from the usual public defender angst and foibles; next time I promise I'll write about something I know about. For now, though, my heart is full, as they say. Yesterday CBC carried live coverage of the Auschwitz observance, and last night showed a musical memorial film filmed within the concentration camp.

Here is a playlist.

Without phony uplift or sentimentality, it broke my heart. Have you ever heard, or heard of, the music of Viktor Ullmann? The bastards murdered him in Auschwitz. Before that, the U.S. government denied him a visa as he tried to escape. The program featured excerpts from his opera, The Emperor of Atlantis, written in the Terezin camp. In the opera, Emperor Überall has declared a total and unending war of all against all, so Death has decided to go on strike. I'd never heard this before, so wrenching, sorrowful, troubling and gorgeous at once:

Come, Death, our worthy, honoured guest, into our hearts descending.
Lift all life's burdens from our breast; lead us to rest, our sorrows ending.
Make us prize all human worth; to other lives awaken.
Let this commandment be our truth;
The great and sovereign name of Death must not be lightly taken!


Words fail. Other pieces I'd heard before, but never in such context. The soprano solo from the second movement of the Gorecki Third Symphony poured the grief and hope of the "Zdrowas Mario" into the snow falling outside a barracks door. The "Europe" section of Steve Reich's Different Trains gained gravity and urgency from the players' surroundings and the images of rails leading into the camp.

I've never been to Oświęcim. I have been to Salaspils and Ponary (Paneriai), and heard the trains and train whistles still passing right nearby, shades and echoes of other trains, to the camps and the killing fields, or to Siberia and the Gulag. And of course I've been in Bosnia and Herzegovina, long after we all congratulated ourselves and proclaimed, Never Again. "Never again is what you swore the time before," as the song says.

Steve Reich began Different Trains by recalling journeys he took by train as a kid in America during the 1940s. The second movement imagines the very different trains he might have found himself on had he been living in Europe at that time. I think of my roots: had my people not left generations ago, would my family have been among the tormenters and murderers? Had I lived then and there, can I be so sure that I would have acted justly? Or is it just as easy to imagine myself not objecting, or even participating, proclaiming my client's guilt in a show trial perhaps, or writing banal, evil little memoranda justifying the torture of my country's enemies? As Mark Mazower lays out in Dark Continent: Europe's Twentieth Century, at the beginning of the war it was by no means clear that good was going to triumph, so why not be on the side that's winning?



So thank G d our side liberated Auschwitz, even if it was the Red Army that did it. It was a sad and haunting commemoration, and I truly hope that the dignitaries were paying attention, even if one couldn't be bothered to dress respectfully for the occasion:

(I shouldn't be surprised that the man chose personal coziness over moral obligation; it wouldn't've been the first time.)

Sadly, the fight against the devil doesn't transform us into angels. Taking or claiming to take the side of good in the fight against evil doesn't excuse indifference to the suffering of others. Respect must be paid, to the living and dead. I need, we need, I think, to remain attentive to our own fallen-ness and our own capacity for making the same mistakes and choices that "good Germans" made, and for doing evil while telling ourselves we're doing good.

In the words of functionaries and yes-men so cavalierly justifying torture in the name of heimat- oder staat- sicherheit - homeland- or state- security, it's not so very hard to envision the beginnings of the Lucifer-like conceit that lead to the Wannsee conference, to the Stasi, to the Gulag, to Auschwitz. They must not be lightly taken.

6 Comments:

Epic said...

I don't want to be a Cheney apologist, but how is dressing warmly a moral failing? There's no moral obligation to be a sharp dresser.

True, inappropriate dress is disrespectful to the occasion, but keep in mind that the man has serious health problems. I believe he's had four heart attacks and now has a defibrillator implanted in his chest. I wouldn't be surprised if he also has some combination of hypertension, circulation problems, kidney problems, liver problems, arthritis, and so on. It's not inappropriate to dress for your health, no matter what you look like.

Skelly said...

Yes, but didn't he have the same health problems a week earlier at the inauguration? And he managed to dress appropriately then. Dishonorable. Big time.

photos "for comparisons sake" at:
http://www.dailykos.com/comments/2005/1/28/123423/645/315#315

Epic said...

Yeah, but he was right at the center of attention at the inauguration, whereas he was just one of many guests at the Auschwitz ceremony. Also, Auschwitz is colder than D.C. and the ceremony took longer.

Anyway, I can't believe I'm even arguing about this. I'm having some health problems of my own, and I guess all the people criticizing a sick person for wearing comfortable clothes strikes a nerve. I spoke up here because I read and enjoy all your stuff and this stuck out. Oh hell, maybe he really is that clueless.

Anonymous said...

I find it interesting that you imagine yourself involved in one of the trials. Me, I always imagined what it would be like to be a grunt in the German Army, assigned to one of the camps. I'd like to think I'd be bold and noble and do the right thing by refusing to kill innocents. Sure. But if I objected they'd just send me to the Russian front and someone else would do the killing. I'd have saved no one and doomed myself. I'm sure millions died at the hands of soldiers thinking exactly that. Or maybe I'd begin to make up reasons to hate the camp inmates, so I could tell myself they deserve it. Yeesh.

Unlike you, I never considered the question in terms of my current job. I program computers, creating databases and websites. I suppose the Holocaust analogy would make me a records clerk, in charge of keeping records of the Jews and the Gypsies and the homosexuals. Would I dutifully keep efficient records? Just telling myself that what others do with the records is not my fault? Would I occasionally throw away a box of records, saving Arg- to Arl- from the death camps? Set fire to the file room one night? I'd like to think so.

(This is such dark speculation, I don't think I'll leave my name.)

Anonymous said...

Dear A and C:

Just a quick comment: I enjoyed visiting your site, and wanted to invite you to visit ours-- velvelonnationalaffairs.com. If you like what you see, please add us to your Others listings.

Thanks.

rk, massachusetts school of law

Skelly said...

And so I have. Best regards to Mass School of Law.