February 24, 2006

See you in Walla Walla

Since ACS at "Defending Those People" posted those Jay-Z lyrics ("It's like bein on trial for your life with a public defender"), I've been having this song bouncing around my head:

The judge wasn't lenient like he was before
You got 3 to 5 and a kick out the door
The public defender really did try
Too little, too late you didn't GET A LIFE

Hey wallah! I'll see you in Walla Walla
Slap on the wrist, well not this time!...


Great song, seems to resonate with at least one other blogger, possibly someone with experience in the system. Big bonus points to The Offspring for making a catchy tune out of one of our finest Washington State prisons.

I'll be scanning my mp3's to find more examples of positive (or at least neutral) mentions of public defenders in song lyrics. Could be a really short list - can you think of any?

In other news, this reminder: if you make $63,000 a year and can afford a $900 a month car payment, you're probably not going to get a pro bono lawyer or a public defender.

And, if I hear you say, "I actually got an Attorney instead of a Public Defender, so my hopes are up now and I feel much better," I will simultaneously grit and grind my teeth.

0 Comments: