April 01, 2005

Touched by the book meme stick

Should've lain low.

Creek Running North just stuck me with the gom jabbar! As we used to say in the desert, "Fear is the mind-killer", so I'll take the test:

You're stuck inside Fahrenheit 451, which book do you want to be?

Since "Angle of Repose" appears to be taken, I'll choose "The Golden Gate" by Vikram Seth, for its tenderness and meter; I imagine that it would be pleasurable to memorize and to recite.

Have you ever had a crush on a fictional character?

Oh sure. The semi-fictional stand-in for Pam Houston in "Cowboys are My Weakness" leaps to mind. For purely fictional, in the past Brunnhilde, Portia and Tasha Yar have been there for me too.

The last book you bought is?

"Diamondfield Jack: A Study in Frontier Justice," by David Grover, for $1.00 at the Lacey library booksale

What are you currently reading?

Insight Guide to The Netherlands by ?
Made Possible By ... The Death of Public Broadcasting by James Ledbetter
Independent People by Haldor Laxness
NY Review of Books (in the bathroom)

Five books you would take to a deserted island:

(I'm going for sheer quantity of printed words here)

The Collected Works of Wallace Stegner (compiled especially for this trip)
An anthology of Slavic literature (likewise - it's my fantasy)
The Riverside Shakespeare
The Bible
The Army Survival Manual or the equivalent

Who are you going to pass this stick to (3 persons) and why?

Bliss, because he's smart and off-beat, and he has a track record of answering these things

East Ethnia, because I'll learn something

Yeoman, because he's thoughtful and I'm curious

0 Comments: