December 06, 2006

Tattoo you

So I link to this goofy item on Boing Boing about a toy tattoo gun for kids ("You know, for kids!"). I add my own snarky throw - away comment, next thing I know I'm being cited by a popular law professor's blog and cited for bigotry against illustrated - Americans.

I need to pause for some reflection and self-criticism: how have I grown so middle-aged and Scrooge-like with my tattoo love? Why would I not be thrilled about seeing my teenage clients wanting to get ink done? Could it come from being an old white guy? Or from the Book of Leviticus? Or from President Gordon B. Hinckley?

Or could it come from the guy with the teardrops inked by his eye in Boise, the skinhead with the full swastika covering his dome in Caldwell, the con with the lightning bolts on his neck in Twin Falls? Darn my prejudices, anyway. Must remember that "people like art in all forms," "you can't judge a book...," and all that.

(disclaimer: some of my most talented colleagues, hires and co-workers have had the tats, so shows how much I know.)

Bonus link goes to Eyebrow-Raising Tattoos from The Smoking Gun.

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

count me as an old lady. my guys have had the teardrops, the obscenities on necks and hands, street names and stuff on forearms, and the buyer's remorse once they are no longer 18 and their old ideas no longer look groovy.

[defenders all have a secret sideline as fashion advisors: "get a haircut, wear long sleeves and a tie, and try to keep your hands under the table. take off the sunglasses. oh, and lose the medallion. could you find some pants that aren't 38 sizes too big?"]

my sister-in-law got some insipid flower garden tattooed on her ankle at age 47. it's painfully embarassing to hear her explain how this made her fit in with the 20-something moms of her young son's friends. her efforts to tell my teens how they could get cool tats, though, have been an effective deterrent -- much better than the mom-lecture.

because i'm not as snarky as i could be, nephew will not be receiving one of those play-tat kits for the holidays.

Anonymous said...

There was my former client who had "f*ck tha police" tattooed across his neck.

For some reason, the cops were always picking on him!