September 04, 2007

P.D. on being assaulted by client: "I’m just glad it's over"

I can admire the public defender who'll take a punch from a client and continue to represent the s.o.b.; I just don't think I could. I'll defer to our colleague the Bardd:

Last Friday, the Jerk did the smart thing for a change and pled guilty to punching me out in court. He was sentenced by agreement of the parties to 8 years in prison, which will run consecutive to the 39 years he already got for the Home Invasion...

I have to confess I’m relieved... (T)here’s just something wrong with the whole situation. I used to defend this man. I did it even after he hit me, because its my job and that’s what I do...

Given that, it feels like some kind of violation of my job description to turn around and testify against someone I used to defend. On the other hand, that kind of conduct is wholly unacceptable and in honor and self-respect I could not let him get away with it...

1 Comment:

Cori1047 said...

Thank you, Skelly, for the word of encouragement. I've always found, myself, that once the testimony begins, the warrior instinct kicks in and it's like a single combat between me and the prosecutor. I can hate the guy sitting next to me to hell and further, but that's irrelevant, the fight holds my entire focus.

It's all about telling a plausible story that explains the facts in a way that makes your client seem, if not innocent or justified, at least less culpable. And at heart, that's what I love about this job; the storytelling and the persuasion.

The Bardd