May 20, 2007

In re Gault at 40

From NPR:

Gault Case Changed Juvenile Law

In 1967 a landmark U.S. Supreme Court decision gave juveniles accused of crimes the same due process rights as adults. The case involved Jerry Gault, who at 14 was given a seven-year sentence for a prank phone call. Gault's story didn't end there...

Listen here (Link via CrimProf Blog).

Bonus links
go to The Gault at 40 Campaign -

The goal of the Campaign is to raise awareness and draw attention to the problems children face in the juvenile indigent defense system and to ensure that all children will be treated with respect, dignity, and fairness...


- and for the youths, Know Your Rights (named after the Clash song I think), answering common questions such as:

* What do I do if I can’t afford a lawyer?
* Will that lawyer be as good as a lawyer who charges me money?
* But if I talk to my lawyer and tell her what happened, will the courts find out?
* But I’d rather just go home quickly. Won’t having a lawyer make it harder?
* Won’t police, judges, prosecutors and probation officers be nicer to me and think I’m a better person if I just cooperate with them without the hassle of a lawyer?

0 Comments: