May 12, 2007

Stay classy, U of I College of Law

Today was commencement at my old law school. It makes my old bones ache just to think of it: it's been twenty years since I was in that same gown with those same purple stripes. I don't remember much about that swirl of a day, which includes not remembering meeting my wife for the first time, there as the little sister of one of my graduating classmates.

However, I do remember the name of our graduation speaker, for whom my class fought with Bad - News - Bears - like tenacity: Judge Wapner. That was the year that U of I had two commencement addresses: one added-on for the status-anxious school administrators and the Boise BigLaw suits, and one for the rest of us of "The People's Court." Congratulations, Idaho law grads.

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome. We had Erin Brockovich, for which I'm probably always going to be grateful. How often does someone mention their cup size (repeatedly) in a commencement address? See...? Completely memorable, and all at dinky Lewis & Clark.

Anonymous said...

I recently attended a law review event where the keynote speaker was Judge Joe Brown. I was a little bitter at first, particularly because the previous year's speaker was Judge Richard Posner. However, I eventually grew to embrace the event with full-blown irony.