May 03, 2007

WA: liberalism without the police

From Olympia Independent Media Center:

Griswalds had been Taken

To our Local Government and its Police Force,

We have occupied Griswold's on 4th Avenue. We do not believe in private property and thus feel no remorse about reclaiming an unused, burnt out, abandoned buidling. We will not leave until the following demands are met..:

2) ALL OF THOSE CURRENTLY INCARCERATED FROM CHARGES RELATING TO HOMELESSNESS BE IMMEDIATELY RELEASED

3) ALL OF THOSE CURRENTLY INCARCERATED IN THURSTON COUNTY JAIL BE IMMEDIATELY RELEASED...

7) THE OLYMPIA POLICE DEPARTMENT DISSOLVE ITSELF AND CEASE TO EXIST

If these simple demands are not met, a group of us will remain locked down in the upstairs room of the building. You will NOT be able to remove us...


Link via OlyBlog.

2 Comments:

Burl Barer said...

In Lynwood, Washington the public defender only represents you in court if you plead guilty -- but will not defend you. If you plead not guilty, you are there all by yourself. Why? I asked and was told: "We are here for those who have enough respect for the law to plead guilty."
I had the misfortune to be (falsely) arrested there a few years back, and when I pointed out that the "probable cause" for the cop stopping me was ruled an illegal pretext stop by the State Supreme Court over a year earlier, the PD simply said, "oh, they do it all the time." When I advised the PD to object to the date of my arraignment (far beyond when I should have been by law) I was told, "they can arraign you whenever they want" - when it became obvious that the PD wasnt even going to be in court with me, I got out my check book and hired a lawyer. A five minute meeting with the Prosecutor resulted in this bit of wisdom: "If we drop everything, he can sue for false arrest. So, we will prosecute and break him financially unless he comes up with something we can charge him with."
So, I did -- going ten miles over the speed limit and failure to yield -- both fictitious. Ahhh American justice!

Anonymous said...

Can anyone confirm Mr. Barer's story?

Is he a nut, or is the Lynwood PD a fake defender?

Anyone? Anyone?