February 25, 2008

WA: "when you push them out, who are you pushing them to?"

From the P-I:

For teen felons, hardest job is finding honest work - Crimes from the past hurt youths trying to build a new future

Finding jobs for teens with a felony on their record is increasingly difficult, but court officials say it might be the only thing to save them from spiraling further into crime...


We had an 18-year-old brought back to court today who could've been in this article:

"They think all this stuff goes away when they're 18 and out of our system. Well, it doesn't... It haunts them. And it really affects them in the long run..."

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

This is such a difficult issue and I don't think I've heard any workable answers. The problem becomes much worse for juveniles who've done serious time and need to reintegrate into society. I care about the issue, and clearly we need some workable solutions, but I'm a perfect example of the average person. I'm afraid of these kids.

Liz Ditz said...

Well, let's start at both ends. At the prevention end: communities in schools --here they are in Washingtonand at the re-entry end.

I don't know much about juvenile re-entry, to my shame.

But we've got to do better.